Subject: Re: Call Tomorrow (Len's rethinking)

Dan,

The decision to update RIM is predicated upon a vote per yesterday's meeting.
We are giving people some time to digest the proposed changes as described by
thread started at:

If/when we decide to do so, I volunteer to update the RIM to 1.1 with the
proposed changes within 3 working days.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200108/msg00006.html

The reason for treating Association and Classification as RegistryObjects is
to allow them to themselves be capable of being described by dynamic metadata
(classification, association, packaging, external linking, external
identification, slots etc.).

It has proven to be very useful to be able to attach dynamic metdata to
Associations and Classifications. Consider the case whe a Classification may
be itself classified to provide context for the classification. See Context
specific classification section in RIM 1.0

Another lesser consideration is that changing Association and Classification
to not be derived from RegistryEntry and therefor not allowing dynamic
metadata is going to have serious impact on other parts of the spec and will
be a difficult change to absorb.

If you feel strongly on this point then let us start a separate thread to
discuss this.

Dan Chang wrote:

> Farrukh and Len,
>
> I am glad to see that not all things are RegistryEntry. I have had a
> concern about that and have raised an issue on it.
>
> But I am still concerned that all (or almost all, since I haven't seen the
> revised RIM spec I can only guess) things are RegistryObject. My
> understanding is that a RegistryObject (unless it got changed) has a UUID.
> For Association and Classification, for example, which are UML association
> classes, I don't believe it is reasonable to require that they must have
> UUID.
>
> BTW, do you plan to send out a revised RIM for review and comment soon?
>
> Regards,  Dan
>
> e-business Data Technology and Standard
> IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
> Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
> VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
> Phone:    (408)-463-2319

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard