Subject: Re: Tracking Core Component use

David,

What you describe below is very analogous to how published research is
rated by university tenure and promotion committees, i.e. "how often was
your published article referenced by other authors in their published
articles?".

Fortunately, the ebRIM and ebRS specifications do address this potential
requirement. It seems like the core component "need" is very much like
asking the following:

"Given an object -- how often does it appear as the "targetObject" of an
Association instance?"

Or more specifically -- one could submit a query that takes a given
RegistryEntry instance (e.g. id="urn:somepath:theitem") and a given
Organization instance (e.g. id="urn:gov:nist") and return only those
RegistryEntry instances that reference "theitem" as the targetObject of an
Association instance, but that are owned by an organization other than
"nist".  The query would be:

<RegistryEntryQuery>
    <SourceAssociationBranch>
       <AssociationFilter>
          targetObject EQUAL "urn:somepath:thatitem:"
       </AssociationFilter>
    </SourceAssociationBranch>
    <SubmittingOrganizationBranch>
       id NOT_EQUAL "urn:gov:nist"
    </SubmittingOrganizationBranch>
</RegistryEntryQuery>

In words, this query says: Identify all RegistryEntry instances that are
the "sourceObject" of an Association instance that has the RegistryEntry
instance identified by "urn:somepath:thatitem" as the "targetObject" AND
where the submitting organization of the "sourceObject" is NOT NIST.

Unfortunately, this query does not count the items in the result set -- but
it does list all distinct ones. That should be sufficient.

-- Len