Subject: RE: COPYRIGHT LAWS and Registry?

Bob just asked me to forward this for him to us
here.

DW.

From:	"Glushko, Bob", INTERNET:Bob.glushko@commerceone.com
To:	"'David RR Webber - XMLGlobal'", Gnosis_

Date:	9/27/2001 11:27 AM

RE:	RE: COPYRIGHT LAWS and Registry?

How about equal time for the public interest?

There are lots of reasons why databases shouldn't be completely protected by
copyright law.

Having failed to secure passage of an international treaty creating new
intellectual property rights for database contents, publishing giants
Thomson Corporation (the Canadian owner of West Publishing) and Reed
Elsevier Inc. (the UK-based owner of Lexis-Nexis) are now lobbying Congress
to secure passage of HR 2652, the Collection of Information Antipiracy Act.
Introduced by Rep-resentative Howard Coble (R-North Carolina), chair of the
House Subcommittee on Courts and Intellectual Property, the bill would
sharply curtail the use of information in the public domain by giving data
compilers perpetual and exclusive property rights to material in their
databases.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.02/netizen.html?pg=4#

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/293/5537/2028

-bob