Subject: RE: [regrep] Re: Support for External Repository Items

I agree with Joel's comment on the name change to "discoveryURL".  We really
are trying to say that this is the URL at which you will find the content
you are looking for.  "Discovery" implies searching, or even serendipity,
(stumbling upon something) and thus, discovering it!  Let's make it really
clear what this URL will provide.  LocationURL makes sense...

-----Original Message-----
From: Munter, Joel D [mailto:joel.d.munter@intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 3:42 PM
To: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Len, et al

With respect to the latest proposed change (ebRIM: from "contentURI" to
"discoveryURL"), I think the name is just wrong and does not fit the purpose
intended.  [with tongue in cheek...] I am excited to see UDDI terminology
making its way into more and more of the Oasis ebXML Registry specification
proposals.  Unfortunately, based on this pre-existing usage in UDDI and
related public documentation, I believe that the use of it in this context
in this proposal would only serve to confuse the Industry.  In this context,
as someone has already registered the information, you already know the URL.
You are not "discovering" it.  Have you considered naming it "locationURL?"

I have re-read the proposal and have the following questions.
In your introduction you write: "...Other Registry team members are holding
the notion that every repository item will reside in the Registry and will
be accessible from its RegistryEntry instance by applying the ebRS
GetContentRequest registry service...".

I do not understand the portion of the statement that says "...repository
item will reside in the registry..."  I thought that repository items reside
in a registry.  I also thought that the v1 specifications separated the
registry from the repository.  That is a repository may be somewhere else.
I may be wrong here.

I strongly agree with the ambiguity in the items that you have cited.  I
have no strong opinion yet regarding whether I am an advocate for
InternalItems or ExternalItems.  If I fall on one side of the fence or the
other anytime soon, I'll let you know.

Joel