Subject: RE: [regrep] Extramural Associations proposal

Farrukh,

While the proposal is well written, I could not find a clearly written Use
Case for this new class of associations.  What you have written about the
valid Use Case is:

Line 73-77
4.5 Extramural Association
The information model also allows a more sophisticated use case where a User
"u1" creates an Association "a" between two RegistryObjects "o1" and "o2"
where association "a" is owned by User "u1", but RegistryObjects "o1" and
"o2" are owned by User "u2" and User "u3" respectively.

(imho) This is not a Use Case.  This is a description of the actors
involved.  Can you please provide an English description of why these actors
would want to do this.  What is a business case where the would be valid?
What sub-types of RegistryObject is this valid for?

As an owner of an RegistryObject, I do not believe that I would want to
allow other's to be able to "associate" me to other RegistryObjects without
my consent.  I understand that you added the "confirmation" section to
accommodate this.  But this is after the fact.  You've stated that an
association is not complete unless it is confirmed.  This multi-step process
is complex.

I am again quite alarmed that this is a capability that already exists in
UDDI.  Rather than investigating ways to cooperate with existing Registry
efforts, this Oasis ebXML Registry specification effort is proposing to add
capability that already exists elsewhere.  This is a generalized version of
the UDDI publisherAssertions model and process.

I do accept the fact that a generalized approach at associations like this
may be considered to be a richer capability versus the UDDI
publisherAssertions ability but I do not see the value in adding this
complexity into the Oasis ebXML Registry spec.  Maybe the Use Cases and
requirements that this solution satisfies will convince me otherwise but
without seeing them clearly listed, my opinions stand.

Joel