Subject: [regrep] RE: Core Components Specifications

Message text written by "CRAWFORD, Mark"
> If
you have specific comments on the spec that you want considered, then I
suggest you follow the procedures - identify specific line number for your
comment, provide detailed justification (not hyperbole) and provide clear
alternative text.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Mark,

I did this already.

Please re-read my email - not dismiss it because it just does not
agree with your world view.

Yeah - I'm not trying to sugar coat this.

The last time I tried to open an UML model with VB or Perl
I got an "unknown filetype" error.

Between those 2 I'd say you're looking at 10,000,000 users easily.

You can put things in the spec's that mandate stuff that noone can
use if you like, but don't be surprised if noone comes to live
in your ivory tower.

Is that the sort of hardnosed brutal facts you were looking for?

"and provides a much cleaner way to support OO, XML,
and EDI instantiations.  I doubt the same can be said for the CCR spec".

I'd like to see how Table 5-6 in the CC spec' provides cleaner support
for EDI instantiations.   Know any EDI vendors that have tools that
read MS Word document tables??!?

Actually the CCR spec' is EXACTLY designed to do that - and not only
that we have prototyping done that demonstrates it and the CCR team
has spent significant time on analysing all aspects of things like XMI to
ensure the functional points are covered off.   And how to support
EDI codelists - a critical factor - since you mentioned EDI.

It also fits in with the Registry model today - no changes needed -
so no need for yet more extensions to an already crowded spec'.
There is more than enough in the Registry spec's to facilitate what
we need here.  We had all those hours of discussions in Tokyo and
Vancouver between the Registry and CC groups.

UML is a modelling tool.   Understand its limitations and where you
need to compliment them with clear and simple XML mechanisms.

You might use 3D-Designer to plan your next home, but don't
expect it to also be able to paint the windows and the garage door
in the colours with the brand of paint you have selected as well...

DW.