Subject: [regrep] Re: Core Components Specifications

I think that UML would be a great way to model core components if it
were possible to create a new diagram type that is derived from the
Class diagram.

A Class Diagram can have deep nesting and maintain relationships between
both parents and children in the nested structure.  Relationships can
also be represented between classes not existing in the same package.
If one were careful, I expect a set of core component instances could be
generated from a java package that had been modeled using a tool such as
Together Control Center (www.togethersoft.com).  Together can already
export a model as a DTD, so I imagine it would be possible to output XML
that conforms to a CRI spec.  By defining a new diagram type, tool
vendors could extend modeling tools to reflect the actual structure and
content model of core components.

All the above aside, I firmly believe that we need both a way to model
these things that is business analyst friendly, AND and easy to parse
XML representation.  All of this bickering over which of the two
components should prevail is ridiculous.

Regards,

Matthew MacKenzie
VP R&D - XML Global