Subject: [regrep] Web Services Remote Technical Committee's Charter

Karl,
At our last Registry TC telecon, we discussed the recent announcement of the
OASIS Web Services Remote Portal Technical Committee charter document.  The
wording in the charter is of concern to the members of the Registry TC.  We
asked Lisa to compile our concerns, and are submitting them here for your
consideration.

The charter for the OASIS Web Services Remote Portal Technical Committee
(WSRP TC) contains a mention that minimally will cause confusion among OASIS
members and customers and maximally is causing concern among OASIS/ebXML
Registry TC members. In the deliverables section of the Charter at
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200201/msg00013.html> it
states that :

"The primary deliverable of the WSRP TC is specification that consists of a
coordinated set of Web Services interfaces and technical contracts that will
allow businesses to:
- Implement Remote Portlet Web Services according to the spec to that they
are interoperable with compliant consuming applications, e.g. portals.
- Publish Remote Portlet Web Services into UDDI directories with
meta-information that indicates their capabilities
- Implement consuming applications according to the spec so that they are
interoperable with compliant Remote Portlet Web Services.
- Find Remote Portlet Web Services in UDDI directories and exploit the
associated meta-information to determine their capabilities

The explicit mention of UDDI directories with no mention of OASIS' own
registry effort is disheartening. There is consensus among Registry TC
members that there is no technical reason for this specification to be
specific to UDDI. Therefore, we request that this section be revised by
changing 'UDDI directories' to 'directories and registries'. If there is a
technical reason, the Registry TC members would like to be made aware.
Please let us know your decision concerning our request, and any technical
reasons that need to be considered in the mention of registries.
Thank you.

Kathryn Breininger
CENTRAL Project Manager
Emerging Technologies