Subject: RE: [regrep] XQuery Support

Title: RE: [regrep] XQuery Support

<Snippet>
In particular there is
some debate about whether to support an XML only syntax or support a
second declarative non-XML syntax. DOes any one have more recent
information on this?
</Snippet>

Farrukh, I take it you are referring to a raging debate that took place last month on the XML-DEV list (or you heard it elsewhere) - the following is an excerpt from that debate (1/3/02):

<Excerpt>
To be consistent with XSLT, XQuery would have to be a truly XML-based
syntax, as XSLT is. XQuery is not. Many of our users prefer that XQuery not
be an XML syntax. Those who ask for an XML syntax for users tend to be very
heavy users of XSLT, who are quite used to this approach.
</Excerpt>

Unless something big has happened since then, it appears that they are still supporting only the non-XML syntax.