Subject: [regrep] RE: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

Hi,

We(the ebXML BP Catalog team) had a long conversation last week with Kathryn
about unique identification and what their scheme should be. We provided her
with our requirements for unique identification that was not satisfied by
the current UUID specification of regrep. The various things that we touched
base upon were:

1. Meaningful verses meaningless identification scheme
2. multiple identification scheme for the same item based on various usages.
3. A standard organization (like UCC/EAN) to control the uniqueness and
meaningfulness
4. Separate namespace for the various identification schemes
5. Analyze other schemes like IDEF, OID etc.

We in the catalog team are working out the use cases for identifications

Cheers

- Nita

-----Original Message-----
From: Nikola Stojanovic [mailto:Nikola.Stojanovic@encodasystems.com]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 1:40 PM
To: 'Duane Nickull'; Martin W Sachs
Cc: ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org; 'regrep@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

<Duane>
The Registry assigned unique identifier identifies it uniquely within one
specific registry instance, not globally.
</Duane>

From the OASIS/ebXML Registry Services Specification v2.0
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.0/specs/ebrs.pdf
lines 648-650

<snip>
As specified by [ebRIM], all objects in the registry have a unique id. The
id must be a Universally Unique Identifier (UUID) and must conform to the to
the format of a URN that specifies a DCE 128 bit UUID as specified in
[UUID].
</snip>

Being UUID it is Universally (Globally) Unique. Some call it GUID (Globally
Unique).

Regards,

Nikola Stojanovic
Lead Technologist, Research and Development
Encoda Systems, Inc.
101 Pineview Terrace
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA
nikola.stojanovic@encodasystems.com