Subject: [regrep] Re: Core Components Specifications

> "CRAWFORD, Mark" wrote:
>
> There is nothing in the CC spec that violates the requirements
> document.  Storage of CCs as UML defined objects is in keeping with
> the ebXML architecture document, and provides a much cleaner way to
> support OO, XML, and EDI instantiations.

Mark et al:

Conceptually, we should not be talking about UML to XML conversions.
Try to think of a Core Component as an artifact which can have UML or
XML expressions of itself.  They are two different presentations of the
same thing, not two different things.

> BTW, if you really want syntax neutral representations, then XML
> doesn't cut it.  It is as syntax specific as UML.  Lets use ASCII text
> descriptions.

Last time I looked, ASCII is not considered 100% syntax neutral either.
:)

We have to have at least one default syntax for expression.  UML is fine
but XML does have some advantages.

Many people assume that we don't need XML becuase they have the UML.
XML can be parsed by either a Human OR an application.  The same is not
true for UML.  Before you rush to type a rebuttal to this email, becuase
Rational Rose can generate code from UML,  examine the facts behind this
easily misinterpretted phenomena:

When people view the UML in Rose or other tools, they don't often
realize that the UML they see is being internally built from XML (XMI in
some cases) or some other internal, structured code.  The internal code
structure powers the presentation of the UML, not the other way around.
Many simply misinterpret the GUI rendition as the actual object
(artifact).

Since an XML file, if properly structured and robust enough, can be used
as the source to automatically build a UML presentation, and the other
way around is not true (binary UML to XML), I would highly favour using
XML as the default syntax.  XML can be easily transformed into many
other graphical and non graphical presentations as well.  Since at least
one structured (normalized rendition) is probably going to be requested
by those who are writing software for Design Time, I strongly suggest
that having a default XML structure for Core Components as the default
presentation syntax.

My $0.02 worth.

Duane Nickull

--