Subject: RE: [regrep] Re: Core Components Specifications

Come now, David. The fact that, for example, "Amount Due" is derived from a
calculation (and in another context it may not be the one you cite) does not
make it a program. It's still just a piece of data.

Sally

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber - XMLGlobal [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 1:32 AM
To: Duane Nickull
Cc: Cory Casanave; ''eBTWG (list)' '; ''Ebtwg-Ccs (list)' '; 'OASIS
Registry List '; Dave Carlson; 'Sandy Klausner'
Subject: [regrep] Re: Core Components Specifications

Message text written by Duane Nickull
>I agree 100% with the above statement.  I will disagree with any notion
that a core component is a program as stated by Sandy.
<<<<<

This is an interesting grey area!  The CCR is actually setup to handle
both nouns and verbs in anticipation of a need.

Here's a thought - in the insurance industry you may have a
core component called "maximum total liability" for a life
insurance policy and it reflects the value that the policy can
be written for.

Trouble is this is NOT a data item, its a calculation on a set of
data items that result in a data value.

Another example is "Amount Due" - which is a calculation of
(Invoice Amount, Invoice terms, Days overdue, Percentage Interest)

So you have a very well defined algorithm for calculating this,
and the definition consists of verb and noun(s).

Another example is 'Country Codes'.   This is a join between
the ISO Country codes and your customer account profile to
determine actual countries that you are allowing that
customer to ship too...so its actually a stored procedure.

I've probably just walked into the holy shrine here of
Core Components and darned to utter the forbidden
chant that denies the existence of the true core components.

As we just agreed you need both UML and XML, you also
need to understand that core components can consist of
nouns, and nouns and verbs.

DW.