Subject: RE: [regrep] FW: [chairs] relations with W3C

Suresh,

Please see my comments below.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by "Damodaran, Suresh"
>1. For those W3C standards (and submissions) that are used in OASIS
standards
efforts (e.g., XPath, XSL, SOAP, WSDL, XMLDSIG,... used in ebXML) it would
be useful to have
the relevant OASIS standards in the "official" review loop of the W3C
standards.
Since OASIS is a consumer of many of W3C standards, it would streamline and
strengthen
the review process.

published
a draft for review - then its up to people to post issues to the IG for
that WG, and
the W3C website has a comment submission page for that.  Beyond that - if
an OASIS WG had a formal issue that appeared to not being covered - ie it
is submitted - but then the W3C WG marks it for "no action" - then there
should
be some escalation process.  Is that what you are thinking?
<<<

2. It would be helpful for W3C and OASIS review at least the e-Business
related activities and come to an understanding of the relationships so
that
this understanding
can be fed back to the W3C WGs and OASIS TCs. This will also help the
review
process mentioned in (1) above. An example of such related activities would
be
ebXML in OASIS and Web Services Activity in W3C [1].

(which is just forming of course) would seem to me to cover this.
<<<<

3. A well documented clarification of IP policy differences of OASIS and
W3C
pertaining to different types of documents (submissions, specifications,
etc.)  will be helpful to
those implementing to these standards.

moving target right now - depending on who you ask and what day of the
week!
The W3C members have penned many megabytes of email on this topic.
Yep -- you can get an official statement from the W3C - but since this is
written in lawyereze - who knows what it really means?   Let's hope that
OASIS can have a simpler clearer picture.

Do not hold your breath!!

DW.