Subject: Re: [regrep] ebTWG CBPC questions to ebXML Registry

Nita and Sanjay,

Please see my responses inline below.

"Patil, Sanjaykumar" wrote:

Nita Sharma, a member of  ebTWG CBPC (Common Business Process Catalogue) TC discussed with me a set of questions she had in the context of using ebXML Registry for storing/retrieving business process catalogue. I handled most of the simple ones and deferred the following few for getting a collective answer from the TC. Please let me know what the TC thinks or you could directly send your responses to nita.sharma@iona.com

I assume you mean that since a BP repository item may be classified by multiple classifications, can a registry discovery mechanism utilize multiple (or all) these classifications for discovering the BP?

The answer is YES. Both filter query and SQL query allow for classification based queries using multiple classifications. See RS 2.0 section 8.3.7.4 (Getting Objects Classified By a ClassificationNode) for SQL query example. See RS section 8.2.7 ClassificationNodeQuery for filter query support for multiple classifications.

Assuming that the custom metadata attributes are defined as Slots on the ExtrinsicObject teh answer is qualified YES. Slots may be quried by both SQL query and Filter query mechanism. Note however that it will be somewhat cumbersome as a Slot is not a first class attribute of a RegistryObject.

A better alternative will be available in ebXMl Registry V3.0 with the introduction of the following two features:

-Content based queries, which will allow the actual XML defining the BP definition to be queried.

-User-defined types in RIM which will allow you to define a BP type, submit instances for that type and query on that type.

This feature is partially supported by providing majorVersion and minorVersion attributes. However, when a registry bumps these versions up is not yet defined.
We have approved Vs. not approved today. We do not have eabled/disabled support in RIM. However, the Slot based extensibility mechanism allows you to define a Slot named isEnabled on all your BP artifacts and set its value to either "true" or "false". This is a key value of ebXML registry that while it may not be designed to address every problem, it is extensible and can adapt to the situation.
thanks,
Sanjay Patil
IONA
END 2 ANYWHERE