Subject: Re: [regrep] looking for the latest editions

Hi Max,

Thanks for your comment on the OASIS ebXML Registry specs.

It is possible to not have any validation issues by simply having an ObjectRef
element that satisfies the validator within the same document
(SubmitObjectsRequest).

In V2.0 we define a way to associate custom AccessControlPolicy (ACP) objects
with any RegistryObject via the accessControlPolicy attribute of the
RegistryObject. However, in V2 we do not define how the AccessControlPolicy
gets submitted to the registry and what it look like. We leave that up to
registry specific means.

We have a generic mechanism in the XML schema (rim.xsd) to allow references
from one RegistryObject to another. The referring object uses an attribute of
type IDREF where the value is the id attribute of the referred RegistryObject.

The referred RegistryObject may be i the same document (SubmitObjectsRequest)
or it may be already in the registry. If it is in the registry then to satisfy
the validator we require the presence of a proxy ObjectRef for the referred
RegistryObject to be present in the same document (SubmitObjectsRequest). This
satisfies the validator while providing a uniform way to reference a
RegistryObject whether it is in the document or already in the registry.

To summarize:

-We do not spec ACP today and expect that it is defined out of band with
registry and associated with your object

-We require that ACP have an id like other registry objects

-Any Submitted object may reference an ACP by specifying its ID as an IDREF
type.

-The ACP is never submitted in a SubmitObjectsRequest so it can never be in the

same document

-The ID/IDREF linkage is validated by having an ObjectRef with id same as the
id
in accessControlPolicy attribute on the RegistryObject.

What this allows is for us to support custom ACP in V2.0 and link a custom ACP
to submitted objects assuming the custom ACP gets into the registry using
registry specific means.

So I believe we do not have a bug here. Validation will work fine if there is
an
ObjectRef with the same id as the accessControlPolicy attribute value.

What this does point to is the need to have the above explaination featured
more prominently in the specs.
We will consider this input for the future.

Thanks again for helping improve the quality of the OASIS ebXML Registry specs.