Subject: [regrep] Re: Preliminary OASIS/ebXML Registry Tests - remarks

Michal,

Thank you very much for your comments on the preliminary Registry test
requirements that the OASIS Registry technical committee is considering,
cf  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200206/msg00084.html . I
hope you don't mind that I'm copying my response to that group because I
know they'll be interested.

You raise an issue about how much information is required to be submitted
for each User of the Registry. Some of the tests I submitted were purposely
trying to submit User and Organization instances with just the minimum
amount of required information. The XML Schema allows submissions that
appear to be missing information that may be required by RIM. I do not know
if this was intentional! Your concern is that two of the proposed
submissions for users do not contain information that appears to be
required by RIM, namely the submission for Registration Authority and
Responsible Organization:

  ftp://xsun.sdct.itl.nist.gov/regrep/submits/SubmitRA.xml    (Section 2.3
of test requirements)

  ftp://xsun.sdct.itl.nist.gov/regrep/submits/SubmitRORG.xml  (Section 2.6
of test requirements)

The first submission contains Address and TelephoneNumber elements that do
not have any attributes. The submissions validate because all attributes
are optional even though the parent element is required. The submissions
validate to the XML Schema v2.0 for Registry, but it may violate the RIM
rules in Sections 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.5 and 8.2.6 that appear to require a
person name, postal address, telephone number, and email address for each User.

I think you have an excellent point. The committee clearly intended that
Registration Authorities be allowed to reject User and/or Organization
submissions if they didn't contain some minimum amount of information.
What's less clear is whether the committee intended that implementations
fail to conform if they relax some of those requirements. For example, if
the submission contains a "name" attribute for a user role that is not a
real person, must it also contain a PersonName element with some
superfluous person attributes filled in?

When I proposed these initialization submissions, I did not intend for them
to be controversial. I wanted to submit at least one User and one
Organization with the minimum amount of information required by the
Registry specification. Frankly, I was concentrating on the minimal XML
Schema requirements for User and Organization and forgot to coordinate that
with explicit or implied requirements in RIM.

I'd encourage the committee to re-visit this issue and decide on the
appropriate minimum amount of non-null information required for every User
and Organization instance. Then we can modify SubmitRA.xml and
SubmitRORG.xml (just as Michal Zaremba did) so that those two submissions
will be accepted by most Registry implementations. The remainder of the
tests require that those submissions be successful!

-- Len

ASIDE: I don't think it is required anyplace that required string
attributes be of length greater than zero. May a conforming implementation
reject submissions that have zero-length strings, or non-visible
characters, for required attributes?