Subject: RE: [regrep] Minutes of today's meeting

Title: RE: [regrep] Minutes of today's meeting
Ah, I see...so, for instance, if the UBL representation of Organization and the registry class for organization matched, the registry could potentially accept a UBL transaction containing Organization information as a means to create an instance of an Organization class within the registry, thereby alleviating the need for a user to enter this information.  The same could apply for class PostalAddress, class PersonName, etc.

I like this idea, but I would offer a caveat (as I mentioned in our call yesterday) that if the UBL representation of Organization were to change (for example, an element is no longer mandatory), the RIM class would need to be updated (which as we know would not be an easy change).

As we know, this type of thing is much better enforced with schemas. :)

Thanks,

  Joseph M. Chiusano
  Logistics Management Institute
  2000 Corporate Ridge
  McLean, VA 22102
  Email: jchiusano@lmi.org
  Tel: 571.633.7722
From: Nikola [mailto:nikola.stojanovic@acm.org]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 9:37 AM
To: ebXML Regrep (E-mail)

<JoesAddition>
The specific issue has to do with whether or not the registry should enforce compatibility with various standards (UBL, etc.).  Nikola described a scenario in which the registry would verify that a certain component (e.g. Address) "conforms" to a certain standard - e.g. the UBL version of Address.
</JoesAddition>

What I was trying to communicate was that Core Components Review subcommittee should investigate whether our RIM classes, like Organization ... could be compatible with CC, UBL ... and if yes, what would be necessary to do. This would be a low priority item at this time. In case that we can reuse some of these components, registry would be able to reuse available component validation and other routines / services for that component to process its own components.

Nikola