Subject: RE: [regrep] Issues with extramural Association

Although I have no official standing in this TC, as an observer and previous
participant, I voice strong objection to this proposal.  The argument that
it is "...too much of a burden to keep up with..." is weak.  I would not
want someone to stake a claim to having some association to my company and
force me to do something about it to keep that invisible.  I think that
acceptance of this proposal negates and undermines the entire purpose of
associations.  I strongly suggest that you look at this much more thoroughly
and offer a more complete proposal for resolution.  Maybe there is a way to
make it easier on the users.  e.g., Send a note/message to the target
partner key contact when an assertion is made and offers a time limit for
the response with a default state of deny.

Joel (still lurking) Munter
Intel Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 8:40 AM
To: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [regrep] Issues with extramural Association

Team,

Based on both user and implementation experience the feedback we have
been receiving on Extramural associations is that it is too restrictive
to require that an Extramural Association (an association between
objects owned by two different parties) must be confirmed by both
parties before it is visible to the general public. The problem is that
it is too much of a burden for parties to keep up with the confirmation
task. Another problem is that hiding unconfirmed associations is
difficult to implement and quite inefficient.

I would like to propose that we make the following changes in V3
regarding Extramural Associations:

-Extramural Associations that have not been confirmed must be visible to
all and should not be invisible

Note that anyone can still see the attributes isConfirmedBySourceOwner
and isConfirmedByTargetOwner to determine the confirmation status and
decide whether they trust this Association or not.

The proposed change is quite simple to spec, will make the registry more
user friendly and will also greatly simplify implementation. It can be
done ijn a backward compatible way with no schema canges required.

Please share your thoughts.