Subject: Re: [regrep] Describing ebXML Reg/Rep - observations from Santa Fe

I whole-heartedly support Dick's sentiments below.

In my experience with an open source implementation of ebXML Registry
[1] I see a thriving and active user community of some 100 members. I
see that just for this one implementation of ebXML Registry the user
community represents:

-Major world governments  (several)

-Major fortune 500 companies

-Major verticals (several)

-Standards organizations

All of these organizations are using ebXML Registry to address real
business use cases and needs. Most activities are in pilot stages. Some
are building products based upon ebXML Registry.

Someone mentioned the VHS - BetaMax analogy earlier. I do not believe
that BetaMax ever had the strong user adoption that ebXML Registry is
seeing.

My sense is that while UDDI is leading in vendor adoption and general
"buzz" awareness / marketing front, ebXML Registry is quietly leading in
the user adoption front. This ("Real cases - Real People") is exactly
what Monica's user panel showed at the recent Open Forum conference that
this thread is about.

I agree with what Erik Still and others have suggested. We should up the
ante on our marketing and awareness and vigorously deliver ebXML
Registry V3 with a splash. We also need to publish several Best Practice
papers. Thanks Joe for taking the lead on some of them.

And I think we are on a roll towards that goal with Kathryn and Monica's
presentations at Santa Fe.