Subject: RE: [regrep] Reg/Rep & UDDI (was: Describing ebXML Reg/Rep ...)

In this vein, I think it would be useful to have someone enumerate the functionality that regrep would have to add in order to show what Matt wants shown.  Could an ebXML registry have its contents replicated (at least in the public registries)?  Is there something about the tModel that is specific to UDDI?  Can the web service calls take place on ebMS (ebXML Messaging Service) or only SOAP?  Finally, is there a political reason for not trying to incorporate the functionality of UDDI into ebXML registries?

-Nicholas

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:matt@mac-kenzie.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 6:04 PM
To: OASIS regrep

This scenario would suggest to a user that UDDI is more broad
functionality wise than regrep, and as Farrukh noted, further obfuscate
the regrep image.

What really makes sense to me is this group undertaking a few TC
approved/supported whitepapers or technical notes showing how an ebXML
Registry can do all that UDDI does _in addition_ to the typical regrep
functionality, then flogging them to the developer community.  Maybe
ebXML vendors will be able to appeal to the customers who don't blindly
swallow their Microsoft rep's hollow claims about software such as
UDDI.  Why would hundreds of companies need a web services registry?
That boggles my mind.  Now, a registry like ebXML's that is nearly a
content management system...I can see hundreds of deployments of that...

-Matt