Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML Reg Rep & UDDI interoperability

Max Voskob wrote:

>I'm not sure if you discussed this option before, but I thought of providing
>some UDDI interfaces to your Registry.

Hi Max,

Thank you for your suggestion.

This idea has been discussed before by other guests on our mailing list
and in other forums. I think it is a fine idea for a vendor specific
feature for an ebXML Registry product. I do not think it is a good idea
for the ebXMl Registry Standard. Here is why.

In the ideal world we would not have two registry specifications but
would have one. For better or for worse we have two and they differ in
some very fundamental ways.

The API and information model of UDDI is very specific, while that of
ebXML Registry is very generic. Additionally, ebXML Registry has a much
broader set of requirements (and capabilities to match them) than UDDI.

Our architectural choice of generic API and information model has been
validated over and over. In our V3 work we have found that we are able
to do many of the V3 features without requiring any new API changes.

Our query API is designed to support any type of ad hoc query without
having to extend the API every time new query requirements are defined.

Why in the world would we want to adopt an API that is less functional
than what we have already? What value would it provide to our large and
growing user community? All it would do is to make our otherwise clean
information model and API confusing and muddled. Whose interest would be
served by that?

Our standard is being adopted by Governments, major verticals, fortune
500 companies and standards organizations because it is so flexible and
accommodating. You own message at:

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uddi-spec/200302/msg00021.html

alludes to the fact that governments want ebXML Registry based upon its
existing capabilities.

In my opinion, the only reason anyone would wish to use ebXML Registry
over a UDDI interface is for dealing with legacy registry client
applications until they are re-written to the ebXML Registry API. And
those who chose JAXR for a client API when using UDDI would find that
their client applications would easily work with ebXML Registry.

In summary, I think putting UDDI interfaces on an ebXML Registry may be
OK for vendors to offer as a value-added feature for their ebXML
Registry product. I do not believe that it makes sense at the standards
level. I predict that ebXML Registry product vendors will only implement
the feature you suggest if there is a customer demand for it.

Thanks again for your suggetsion.