Subject: [regrep] Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

[Cross-posting from XML-DEV to the OASIS/ebXML Registry TC]

Jeff,

Regarding the following:

<Quote>
My opinion is that the answer lies in a prefix registry.  I know that's
controversial, mainly because it creates an authority structure that has
to be consulted prior to assigning prefixes to names.  I think this can
be mitigate, though, by having a provisional namespace prefix mechanism
that is essentially the same as it exists now, minus default
namespaces.  Registered prefixes would then be denoted by special naming
conventions.
</Quote>

I think you are *very very* close to something, but not quite there.
What I mean is this: namespace prefixes in XML schemas/documents are the
proverbial "syntactic sugar" - that is, they are really "local" to the
XML schema/document in which they are declared. However, what really
matters is the actual namespace identifier that the prefix represents
(that is the "something" that you were close to). I believe it would be
very beneficial for one to be able to use a "namespace registry", so
that they could accurately reference namespace identifiers and "include"
them (using term loosely) in XML schemas/documents with whatever prefix
they choose.

This opens up all sorts of possibilities in an XML registry, such as:

  (1)Query on all "XML artifacts" (elements/attributes/datatypes" that
are in a given namespace;

  (2)Reassign XML artifacts from one namespace to another (would
automatically search all registered XML schemas/documents for all
declarations/use of such artifacts in such namespace and change the
namespace identifier in the XML schema/document);

  (3)Perform an automatic comparison of the "contents" of 2 (or more)
namespaces, for harmonization purposes (perhaps an organization has a
"test" namespace and an equivalent "production" namespace, and they wish
to determine which artifacts need to be promoted from test to production
at the proper time);

...and countless more.

Thanks so much for bringing this idea up.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Member, OASIS/ebXML Registry TC