Subject: [regrep] FW: Namespace management

Folks,

A colleague of mine is working on the issue of avoiding URI namespace collision.  She came to me asking if there are ways that a registry could assist in negotiating/preventing similar URI's from being registered for different purposes. (see Jessica Glace's email below)

In managing a central registry I think it's easy enough for the management procedures of a registry to handle harmonization of any like objects, or conversely prevent cross-purpose registration of objects from being approved.  What I'm hazy on is how federated registries negotiate possible dual approved objects of similar construction.  For instance in the case of ebXML RS we stipulate that the federated registries replicate each other's metadata, which could create at least a first generation replica of duplicate URIs in each with different UIDs assigned by the respective registries (11.2.5).  Though I believe that the RS does allow each registry the option of submitting replicated objects through their own LifeCycleManagement for the purpose of evaluating the replica (11.3.3 in conjunction with 11.3.5).  If the URIs are described as applying to different information sets, but those information sets are desirable for inclusion in the same XML instance, how do I deconflict them to ensure like elements of the URIs are treated differently without creating a new URI that duplicates the purpose for one of the existing "approved"  URIs?  Hope that makes sense.

Have I misperceived something in my evaluation that would preclude such an occurrence from ever happening?  Even if I understand things correctly, I would hope/expect the possibility of this as rare to the point of lottery odds.  I also, don't think this is necessarily something to be solved technically (i.e. come up with a solution for the RS.)    But   is there is a managerial solution to be recommended?  In the extreme "for instance" IANA, one of the domain managers, W3C, OASIS, or other consortia could be approached to facilitate assurances of the uniqueness of URI's?  I'd appreciate other's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Paul