Subject: Re: [regrep] FW: Namespace management

<Quote>
This is obviously a recipe for chaos - and in the US Gov
XML WGs meetings I've sat in - and where these requests
for namespace management are coming from - that is
what I see is part of the perception - that each department
within the USGov will own its own prefixes and use these
to label its own content.
</Quote>

I believe the perception may be that each department within the USGov
will own its own *namespace identifier* (not prefixes) and this
namespace identifier to label its own content (through prefixes).

Joe

David RR Webber - XML ebusiness wrote:

> Matt,
>
> I think I touched a few live wires here!
>
> Yes - I intended to make people stop and
> re-assess their thinking.
>
> But we're not talking about the same two things.
>
> From what I've seen of your use of namespaces - you
> you them in an appropriate programmer-centric way
> that delimits special purposed markup "families" within
> a overall block of markup - (e.g. XQuery instructions
> enbedded into content) and yes - writing code to
> handle that is not tough.
>
> What I've seen elsewhere is the opposite arena - where
> non-technical users believe that the only way to make
> their markup functional is if they assign prefixes to everything.
>
> This is obviously a recipe for chaos - and in the US Gov
> XML WGs meetings I've sat in - and where these requests
> for namespace management are coming from - that is
> what I see is part of the perception - that each department
> within the USGov will own its own prefixes and use these
> to label its own content.
>
> This IMHO will significantly impede interoperability
> and deployment of agile information.  Worse - if we
> institutionalize this - then we will be making this whole
> mindset part of the culture of "how" XML is done.
>
> Premise #1 in my book is that the LESS markup goes
> into the exchange transaction structures the better
> on all counts of ease of implementation, maintenance,
> interoperabilty and reduction of content bloat.
>
> Do not confuse semantics with content.  Keep the two
> separate as much as possible.
>
> Now also look at some other down sides - if people
> think they can own and manage namespace prefixes,
> then you get into turf wars - but legally you cannot
> "own" such things - this is just an invitation to lawyers
> that I'd rather avoid - especially if this crosses over
> from the government arena to the "wild".
>
> OK - nows lets look at the POSITIVES here.  I reckon
> that if we accept the following premises:
>
> 1) Namespaces used to denote special purpose
>       markup is an essential and needed mechanism,
>      such uses are driven off the URI - not the prefix!
>
> 2) Discovery of namespace usage as int 1).
>
> 3) Prefix-centric namespace thinking geared around
>      making names "unique" within a XML transaction
>      does not adequately solve eBusiness needs -
>      particularly not versioning of items, and not
>      context driven content.
>
> 4) People want to own prefixes and have the
>      registry manage and enforce content submission
>      rules for them.
>
> So - looking at items 1) & 2) - the Registry can ALREADY
> handle these very nicely - if you just want to catalogue
> these - so you know that someone already has a
> toolset to handle XQuery say - and you want to
> query on a URI - find the owner - description - purpose,
> etc, we can do that by having yet-another extrinsic type
> within Registry as a non-normative addendum.
>
> Items 3) and 4) I think we do want to wave a red flag
> and point out to people that they need to re-think their
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano