Subject: Re: [regrep] FW: Namespace management

<Quote>
If you say merge those Walmart extensions into the main
library - now all you have to do is change the one line in the
template - the address URL of the alias reference.
</Quote>

But what if those Walmart extensions are distributed among multiple
registries (with no duplicates)?

Also, this is all very good but does it change the fact that people will
want to use our Registry for namespaces? I believe we should accomodate
what's out there, and also emerging standards.

Joe

David RR Webber - XML ebusiness wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I do not believe so - since you can reference the pieces
> exactly as you need:
>
>  <registry alias="UBL-01" "http://ubl-ref.org/port:1001"/>
>  <registry alias="UBL-02" "http://ubl-walmart-ref.org/port:2001"/>
>
> And then you'd reference the content accordingly.
>
> Notice these references are in the external CAM template,
> NOT the XML markup itself.  So you have ultimate flexiblity.
>
> If you say merge those Walmart extensions into the main
> library - now all you have to do is change the one line in the
> template - the address URL of the alias reference.
>
> I beleive this reinforces my earlier statement - that keeping
> the XML transaction completely clean and simple - and
> putting the metadata associations into the script mechanism
> is the way forward.
>
> You can supplement that with localized checking via schema
> for simple things like datatypes, repeat counts, et al, but trying
> to make your schema your ebusiness integration system is
> not what schema was ever designed for.
>
> Thanks, DW.
> Message text written by Chiusano Joseph
> >
> Which ties a construct to a specific registry (which is valuable in many
> cases). But what about cases where the constructs that comprise a
> vocabulary with an assigned namespace identifier are stored in multiple
> registries?  Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of federation?  This
> seems more restrictive to me than namespaces might even now be seen.
>
> <
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano