Subject: Re: [regrep] [XML Schema issue] Replace choice with type substitution

Sorry for my confusion (I just brushed up on this technique in my handy
Wrox "Professional XML Schemas" book, as I haven't used it for some
time).

Sounds good to me.

Thanks also Nikola for the additional verification.

Joe

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Team,
>
> In new V3 schema we have consistently used type substitution instead of
> choice construct when defining XMl schema. Choice in the pinion of many
> is not very object oriented and implementation experience has shown that
> it complicates design.
>
> I would like to ask if any one has objections if we replace occurrences
> of <choice> in the schema with type substitution. Here is an example of
> how teh proposal effects the schema:
>
> Old Way
> --------
> In query.xsd the definition of AdhocQueryRequest looks like:
>
> <sequence>
>    <element ref = "tns:ResponseOption" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
>    <choice minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1">
>      <element ref = "tns:FilterQuery"/>
>      <element ref = "tns:SQLQuery"/>
>    </choice>
> </sequence>
>
> New Way
> -------
> Above Old Way would look like this under the proposal:
>
> <sequence>
>    <element ref = "tns:ResponseOption" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
>    <element name="Query" type="tns:AdhocQueryType" minOccurs="1" </sequence>
>
> Where AdhocQueryType is the base type for both SQLQueryType and
> FilterQueryType.
>
> Benefits
> ---------
> Now code can be written using Object oriented principals so that there
> is a AdhocQueryType class that is extended by SQLQueryType and
> FilterQueryType classes. Either type of query may be abstractly
> represented as a AdhocQueryType.
>
> Thanks for your input on this issue.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano