Subject: Re: [regrep] Re: ebXML Registry and Semantic Services [was: "ebXML Registry and Web services" Federal Pilot]

<Quote1>
I'd like us to think about "ebXML Registry and Semantic Services"
instead of "ebXML Registry and Web services". I think that it is
necessary to have a semantically richer model than the one that is
expressed in whatever is called "Web Services" stack.
</Quote1>

I agree that that is a noble goal - but there is already an "FEA and
Semantic Web" pilot planned (please see attached). My objective in
proposing a federal pilot for ebXML Registry and Web Services is to
raise awareness of the capabilities of just that: ebXML Registry and Web
Services. I believe that once that is done, the next step could be
Semantic Web - but putting both together (I feel) obscures the primary
purpose.

I also have been facing a situation with clients where they need a
registry NOW, but there are no or few implementations (COTS products,
not open source) available for use. My hope is that raising awareness of
ebXML Registry through its Web services capabilities will help raise
awareness of ebXML Registry in the federal realm in general, (hopefully)
then creating more demand for ebXML Registries (and more COTS products).

<Quote2>
Having above in mind, I am not sure whether "Federal Pilot" prefix would
be valid or not. I guess it would depend of what Use Cases /
Requirements for the pilot would be.
</Quote2>

Not sure what you mean by "valid", but I believe that such a pilot will
lend more legitimacy to ebXML Registry in the minds of federal agencies,
because we will have a successful pilot to constantly point to.

Joe

Nikola wrote:

> I'd like us to think about "ebXML Registry and Semantic Services" instead of
> "ebXML Registry and Web services". I think that it is necessary to have a
> semantically richer model than the one that is expressed in whatever is
> called "Web Services" stack.
>
> I also think that we will discover that models that utilize ebXML Registry +
> [DAML-S (OWL-S) and similar] are quite powerful.
>
> <Joe>
> I believe that a pilot such as this can help raise awareness of the use of
> Web services with ebXML Registry in the federal realm.
> </Joe
>
> Having above in mind, I am not sure whether "Federal Pilot" prefix would be
> valid or not. I guess it would depend of what Use Cases / Requirements for
> the pilot would be.
>
> Anyway, I'd hope that the pilot like this (and possibly accompanying
> (modified existing) Technical Note) "can help raise awareness of the use of"
> Semantic "services with ebXML Registry in the federal realm" and beyond.
>
> Nikola
>
> You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/members/leave_workgroup.php

Semantic FEA Pilot.doc

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano