Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML Registry and Workflow

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

>I beg to differ.
>- Most databases can now handle arbitary content very easily. They can store
>any arbitray XML as a CLOB, or they can shred an XML document and map the
>various elements to a set of tables -- your choice.

Content Management requires more than storing something as a CLOB. It
requires life cycle mangement

>Most databases now also
>support XPath and XQuery queries against both CLOBs and shredded data (and
>even against regular relational data) -- returning results as XML.

Some may do so in a proprietary way. They do not do this in a standard way.

>- Many databases now provide a Web interface that supports SQL, XPath, and
>XQuery queries.

Some may do so in a proprietary way. They do not do this in a standard way.

>- SQL has been a standard for much longer than XML. The SQL System tables
>are standard metadata representations

Systems tables do not define services, organizations, people, resources
etc. They define tables, columns, indexes etc. Stuff that no one in real
life cares about.

>- Most databases allow you to expose stored procedures and table function as
>Web services. Table functions can also invoke Web services.

Some may do so in a proprietary way. They do not do this in a standard way.

>- All databases provide extremely rich, fine-grained authentication and
>authorization services -- admitedly the administration process is
>proprietary, but in all cases it just comes down to mapping an authetication
>token to a principal and then applying the authorization rules.

Some may do so in a proprietary way. They do not do this in a standard way.
Not ONE of them supports the rich capabilities of XACML. We  adopted
XACML literally the day it was finalized!

>All database
>systems support signatures as an authentication mechanism. How the mechanism
>works is transparent to the user -- only the administrator has to worry
>about setting it up.

That has not been my experience.

>- All database systems support content-based notification services -- and
>they are customizable to support a variety of notification mechanisms. You
>can receive your notification via IM, email, SOAP, etc.

Some may do so in a proprietary way. They do not do this in a standard way.

>I agree that database systems don't provide first class support for
>taxonomies -- although it's pretty trivial to store a taxonomy in a
>database. I generally think of taxonomies as a feature of the registry,
>though, not the repository.
>
>The big downsides to storing arbitrary data in a relational database are:
>- performance of CLOB searches and shredding is generally horrendous
>- A database doesn't provide version management facitlities

+1

>I tend to be rather conservative about data stores, so I would discourage
>most people from storing XML metadata in a relational database. The more
>pressing question is why not just store the metadata in a traditional
>content management system?

What exactly is a traditional CMS? There are NO CMS standards today.
ebXML Registry is the only CMS standard I am aware of. Please confirm or
deny this assertion.

I would venture to say that an ebXML Registry is a better CMS because it
is built on the latest standards and has sophisticated feature set.

The questions is: Why not ebXML Registry? Is there something inherently
wrong with it?

Here is my mantra for ebXML Registry V3:

-ebXML Registry is to web service what databases were to enterprise
applications

-ebXML Registry is a general purpose Content Management System today.

Here is my mantra for ebXML Registry V4:

-ebXML Registry will be a Semantic Content Management System in version 4

-ebXML Registry will be to the Semantic Web what Web Servers are to the
Web today

-ebXML Registry will be the Semantic Web Server

Carl please consider above for our brochure ;-)

This is a great thread for helping us articulate our niche and core
competency. Thanks.