Subject: RE: [regrep] ebXML Registry and Dublin Core

FYI

Adobe has a technology for all of our file formats (PDF, PSD, etc.) called
XMP (extensible meta-data platform) for describing meta-data about
documents.

It implements dublin core, but is also extensible.

There is a free open source library for working with XMP.

if interested, check out
www.adobe.com/products/xmp

cheers

pk

-----Original Message-----
From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 10:31 AM
To: Carl Mattocks
Cc: Anne Thomas Manes; Farrukh Najmi; Peter Kacandes;
regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

<Quote>
the true potential for XACML is as a 'single sign-on' gateway
</Quote>

I know exactly what you meant, but mixing the terms "single sign-on" and
access control is often dangerous. Most folks associate SSO with
SAML/Liberty Alliance, which is all on the authentication side of things
(which includes identity management). Access control assumes that the
user/resource has already been authenticated, and - now knowing that
their identity is valid - what resources they have access to, at what
level, in what manner etc.

<Quote>
let us not forget Dublin Core. IMHO the registry should allow both the
DC core & extended elements to be applied to any and all types of
objects. i.e. expand the information that is known about a  particular
asset
</Quote>

Yes - I think a mapping between Dublin Core metadata and our RIM would
be very useful. Then the Content Indexer could be used to perform the
translation between the 2. David Webber mentioned GILS (Global
Information Locator Service) to Farrukh and I recently - there is a
GILS/Dublin Core crosswalk available. So if we support GILS, we can
support Dublin Core through the crosswalk (if we choose that approach).

There also exists a crosswalk between GILS and UDDI - so we could have
UDDI --> GILS --> ebXML Registry as well.

Joe

Carl Mattocks wrote:

> In the world of large organizations (the world they create) direct access
to databases is strictly limited to DBAs and approved applications. IMHO
(similar to Joe) the true potential for XACML is as a 'single sign-on'
gateway to many information sources (database and other CMSs).