Subject: ebXML Registry/UDDI "Crosswalk"

Lately it seems that I am seeing more and more cases where UDDI is
mentioned for registration and discovery of Web Services descriptions,
but not ebXML Registry. In fact, I attended a session at my firm
yesterday where the presenter did this very thing! Another example is
the XrML (eXtensible Rights Markup Language) spec - which is being
developed under an OASIS TC - which specifies service references using
WSDL and UDDI - but not ebXML. :(

It seems to me that if we were to create some sort of formal "crosswalk"
between UDDI and ebXML Registry as a Technical Note, it would allow
those who reference UDDI to more easily reference ebXML Registry because
they would see the parallel between the 2 specifications in this area.
In light of that, I've drafted a preliminary crosswalk - please see the
2 attached files for reference (they were extracted from the UDDI 3.0
spec and our "Registering Web Services in an ebXML Registry" Technical
Note). Below I list and describe:

(1) The UDDI Core Structures
(2) The ebXML Registry Web Services-Related Classes
(3) Crosswalk between the 2

Please provide feedback on the accuracy of this.

Thanks,
Joe

(1) UDDI Core Structures:
------------------------

businessEntity: Describes a business or other organization that
typically provides Web services

[businessEntities contain businessServices]

businessService: Describes a collection of related Web services offered
by an organization described by a businessEntity

[businessServices contain bindingTemplates]

bindingTemplate: Describes the technical information necessary to use a
particular Web service

[bindingTemplates contain references to tModels]

tModel: Describes a "technical model" representing a reusable concept,
such as a Web service type, a protocol used by Web services, or a
category system

(2) ebXML Registry Web Services-Related Classes:

organizations such as a Submitting Organization.

[An Organization may be associated with one or more Services]

Service: A RegistryEntry instance that provides information on services.

[A Service has a collection of ServiceBindings]

ServiceBinding: A RegistryObject instance that represents technical
information on a specific way to access a specific interface offered by
a Service instance.

[A ServiceBinding may have a SpecificationLink instance]

SpecificationLink: Provides the linkage between a ServiceBinding and one
of its technical specifications that describes how to use the service
with that ServiceBinding.

(3) Crosswalk*:
-------------

UDDI "businessEntity"  ---> ebXML Registry "Organization"
UDDI "businessService" ---> ebXML Registry "Service"
UDDI "bindingTemplate" ---> ebXML Registry "ServiceBinding"
UDDI "tModel"          ---> ebXML Registry "ExtrinsicObject"

*---> means "is roughly equivalent to in the Web Services context"

UDDI Core Structures.doc

ebXML Registry Web Services-Related Classes.doc

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano