Subject: RE: [regrep] Does Registry need Business Analytics/Business Intelligence Capabilities?

Duane,

I think this gets to the issue of should there be registry applications.
For example, a government registry application uses registry objects to
store contract information or grant authorizations.  The BI application
would provide information on the utilization of the contract information
or grant data.  This assumes that the repository was an xml database and
the integrity of the each xml document was maintained.  Anecdote: When I
first started with UNIX, it was cool just to know the operating system
but the adoption did not take off until we added third party
applications.

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com
http://www.p2pspeaker.com
http://www.p2peconomy.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:duane@yellowdragonsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 11:27 PM
To: Zachary Alexander
Cc: 'Chiusano Joseph'; regrep@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [regrep] Does Registry need Business Analytics/Business
Intelligence Capabilities?

My take would echo Joe's earlier comment.  Most Registry users would
likely constrain only metadata to the Registry, not instance data.
 ebXML CPP, CPA or WSDL instance of course, violates this principle,
however it is generally felt that there would be no transactional
instances placed into a publicly accessible registry.

This may change with privately used registries.  I do know of a few
folks who have planned to use the Registry for instance data as well or
a combination (metadata for instances of forms generated only under
certain contexts).  The logs could recall how many times a certain
Registry Object was called, but this information would be useless to
most unless it was combined with the caching algorythm of the
application(s) requesting the data. One application may cache the
registry object for 30 days while another may simply request a new copy
each time the relevant function call was made.

Another potential issue may be that Registry operators can examine logs
to determine who's CPP (or WSDL) has been examined the most, least
and/or by which other users (if logged in and session information is
logged).  IMHO, this may be a security loophole from a business
standpoint.

One final thought - with respect to CPP's/WSDL instances.  Who decides
the algorythm to determine which order of presentation is applied when a

query that reveals multiple registry obejcts is made?  Does that
algorythm get published?  Will every company start entering their
 Registry CPA's/WSDL's as "AAAAA1111111 Shoe company Ltd."?

Duane Nickull

Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
Web Services & ebXML Messaging / Registry Downloads
Project Team Lead - UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture
Phone:   +1 (604) 738-1051 - Canada: Pacific Standard Time
Direct:  +1 (604) 726-3329

Zachary Alexander wrote:

>Joe,
>
>Metaphorically, BI works on the residue of business transactions.  It
>deals with the micro-decisions that companies make everyday. Given
those
>two conditions then we have two questions.  Is there business residue
>that can be collected from the registry? If there is business residue
>(i.e., transaction logs), can the analysis of those logs lead to better
>micro-decisions.  If there is the potential that the registry functions
>could be distributed throughout an organization, then there is a higher
>probability that the business residue (i.e., transaction logs) could be
>of interest in the decision making process.
>
>Zachary Alexander
>The IT Investment Architect
>ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
>http://www.ebTDesign.com