Subject: Re: [regrep] UDDI as the registry for ebXML components: Typo?

<Quote>
to abstract the ebXML RSS and UDDI interfaces to the same API-like JAXR
yet have one unified level of support, not two like the current JAXR
level 0 and level 1.
</Quote>

I would take it even one step further (first I'd like to clarify that I
fully support Java and JAXR): A programming language-agnostic mechanism
for accessing registries (call it "GRI" or "Global Registry Interface").
This way, one could send a query to a registry for a Web service
description and not know or care whether the query is processed by a
UDDI Registry, or an ebXML Registry (or a vendor product that is not
UDDI- or ebXML-compliant but conforms to GRI). Perhaps in the future one
will be paying for usage of Web services - consider an agent that
searches multiple registries for a service that matches a given
description and is the least costly. Or, the criteria could be quality
of service (however it is expressed).

The WS-Inspection specification (part of GXA, not currently in an open
standards consortium) takes one small step in this direction by
specifying a method in which a site can be inspected for service
offerings, regardless of the format of the description documents for
these service offerings. I've written about WS-Inspection on p.2 of my
recent GXA article [1].

Joe

[1] http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/10935_2209991_2

Duane Nickull wrote:

>  From an architectural perspective, WSA, WS-I, UN/CEFACT eBusiness
> Architecture and ebXML are becoming the same thing.  UDDI has not
> reacted to fullfill requirements for semantic interchange and other
> advanced ISO/IEC 11179 content associations and user defined
> classifications that are required by the latter two architectures.  The
> latest ebXML v2.5 does facilitate the requirements of those architectures.
>
> What I would like to see, as a pragmatc technologist, if to abstract the
> ebXML RSS and UDDI interfaces to the same API-like JAXR yet have one
> unified level of support, not two like the current JAXR level 0 and
> level 1.  With the newer requirements from the WSAG, it is only
> inevitable that UDDI will have additional requirements and hence be
> forced to add on more funtionality like semantics (already in the WSA
> document).
>
> Why re-invent a registry?  Let's consolidate UDDI and ebXML.  I
> personally don't care what we call it - how about "WS-Registry".  The
> technical work will not be hard, getting political cooperation is once
> again likely to become the barrier <sigh>
>
> Duane Nickull
> --
> Yellow Dragon Software Corp. - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
> Service Oriented Architectures - ebXML, Web Services, Registry Downloads
> Project Team lead - United Nations CEFACT eBusiness Architecture
> +1 (604) 738-1051
> ***********************************
>
> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> > <Quote1>
> > I suggest that you extend the TN a bit to show how to categorize a Web
> > service as a service that is described by WSDL and communicates using
> > SOAP, and that you show how to search the registry for WSDL services
> > (comparable to the Using WSDL with UDDI best practice document -- soon
> > to be replaced by another, more detailed technical note.)
> > </Quote1>
> >
> > Absolutely. That should be the 2nd TN in our Web Services series - I
> > suggested that to the TC several months ago as well.
> >
> > <Quote2>
> > the technical note uses the term "Web services" to refer to WSDL-base
> > Web services, and it implies that ebXML services are not Web services.
> > Is this your objection?
> > </Quote2>
> >
> > Not exactly - my observation is with the wording of the following
> > phrase:
> >
> > "ebXML and Web services impose separate infrastructure requirements and
> > platform components."
> >
> > To the reader, "ebXML and Web services" could mean "ebXML services and
> > Web services" (where "ebXML services" could mean BPSS for example), or
> > it could mean "ebXML and Web services". Whichever one it is interpreted
> > as, I think it is not accurate because one can register and maintain Web
> > services descriptions (whether they be WSDL, DAML-S, etc.) in an ebXML
> > Registry.

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano