Subject: Re: [regrep] UDDI as the registry for ebXML components: Typo?

I don't want to go too far down this rat hole, but I think I need to
reiterate:

ebXML is a tailored superset of Web services. It's design center is B2B
integration, although it can be used for other applications. SOAP/WSDL is a
more generic Web services framework. It can be used for a wide variety of
applications, including B2B integration, but B2Bi isn't it's primary goal,
and extra infrastructure features (security, reliability, etc) are required
for most B2Bi applications. So it's quite reasonable to use ebXML for these
applications. But I don't think it's reasonable to use ebXML for all
applications. In many circumstances, ebXML is overkill.

So even if companies like BEA, IBM, Sybase, Fujitsu, WebMethods, and
SeeBeyond do provide add-on capabilities to support the ebXML
infrastructure, companies won't deploy these add-on features to every system
(especially not on desktops and handhelds). The ebXML infrastructure will
only be deployed on systems that require this additional functionality.
Other systems will use a lighter-weight solution, such as SOAP/WSDL or XML
over HTTP. One of the most popular features of SOAP is that it's relatively
lightweight. There are versions of SOAP that run on mobile phones and
embedded processors (kSOAP, Wingfoot SOAP, and eSOAP).

So interoperability is key. The ebXML infrastructure is not likely to ever
be as pervasive as SOAP/WSDL. And SOAP/WSDL will never be as pervasive as
HTTP. So we have to make sure that all of these systems play nicely
together. And we also have to admit that they have different infrastructure
requirements.

Regarding Sun and .NET -- this comment makes no sense to me. I would never
expect Sun to implement .NET. Why would Sun want to implement any technology
for C#? But Sun has implement the JAX-RPC reference implementation, which
implements the same SOAP/WSDL Web services infrastructure as .NET. And there
are about 90 other products/projects that implement the same SOAP/WSDL Web
services infrastructure as .NET, supporting just about every language and
platform you can think of. (Well -- okay, I don't know of an implementation
that supports APL...)

Best regards,
Anne