Subject: ebXML Registy and Web Services Choreography

Registy TC,

I've been reviewing the recently released W3C Web Services Choregraphy
Requirements document [1], for places in which our Registry
specifications may be helpful. Here are some examples that we might
consider for Version 4.

Below I've listed a total of 6 use cases and requirements from the W3C
document (only a subset of those suitable), along with "REGISTRY
APPLICABILITY" - i.e. how we can satisify these use cases/requirements
in our current/modified registry architecture. Comments are welcome and
appreciated.

Joe

(1) USE CASE:
3.2.6.2 Description
This use case describes the idea of creating an instance of a
choreography definition (i.e. an actual choreography) allowing one role
to inquire on outstanding activities being taken by another role after a
catastrophic failure. This allows partially complete choreographies to
reach their normal conclusion.

This use case suggests the idea of defining an "Outstanding Activities"
choreography instance designed to support recovery after a catastrophic
failure. The idea is that the Outstanding Activities choreography could
be used after the failure of ANY choreography and is therefore generally
applicable and so will benefit from standardization.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Store and maintain instances of running choregraphies.

(2) REQUIREMENT:

D-CR-052
Category: Management and Provisioning

It MUST be possible to manage choreographies and their relationships and
the messages exchanged between them.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Manage relationships between choreographies using Associations.

(3) REQUIREMENT:

D-CR-056
Category: Management and Provisioning

It MUST be possible to create "limited global views" of a choreography,
where not all interactions are presented.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Provide various "views" into stored XML instance documents
(choregraphies in this case), using XPath.

(4) REQUIREMENT:
D-CR-039
Category: Messaging

It MUST be possible to describe a sequence of communications among
choreographies.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Describe sequences of communications among choreographies using
Associations with sequence numbers.

(5) REQUIREMENT:
D-CR-036
Category: Composition

Choreographies SHOULD be able to call other choreographies in a
hierarchical fashion.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Similar to (3) above.

(6) REQUIREMENT:
D-CR-047
Category: Composition

It MUST be possible to define a new choreography by "extending" an
existing one.

REGISTRY APPLICABILITY:
Define an "Extends" AssociationType between a new and existing
choreography.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-ws-chor-reqs-20030812/
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano