Subject: Re: [regrep] Re: [regrep-cc-review] [Fwd: [ubl-lcsc] UBL Result Paperof CC

Carl et al:

I know a few folks who may argue that even using alpha-numeric (there's
that damned "-" again ;-) characters is syntax specific.  Why wouldwe
not use Japanese Kanji Characters or hieroglophics.  Many words in
(english) natural language do not carry the exact same semantics as
other languages.  An example is "am", the german word that means "near
or in proximity  to the other thing".  At first glance, it appears to be
an exact match for the english word "at" but on closer inspection, there
are several subtle differences in the semantics of this word.  Of
course, this often depends on context, a concept well documented by the
CCTS and UBL groups.

I have been vocal in my efforts to change this to "technology syntax
neutral".  the definition of this is that the base technology syntax
neutral term allows an expression of an instance of that concept to be
in any technology syntax.  Some common examples could include UML, XML,
EDI, ASN-* et al.  This places a huge burden on whoever designs the
final format for expressing a [core component | BIE ] in a technology
syntax neutral expression.

My CAD $0.02 worth...

Duane