Subject: Regulated Nature of ebXML (Was Re: [regrep] Draft Brochure / IDA)

Thanks Nikola - I agree that the regulated/unregulated aspect might be
out of our scope in terms of describing it in detail. But one may want
to mention that ebXML Registry can support the regulated exchanges that
are inherent in the ebXML framework (or something to that effect), as
per the following quote:

<Quote1>
ebXML is suitable for highly regulated B2B exchange in line with EDI
whereas Web Services apply to less regulated exchanges.
</Quote1>

Having said that, I've changed the subject of this thread as you can
see. My question is now: is ebXML *too* regulated, too "static" to
support/compete with the more dynamic types of exchanges that are
starting to emerge given the growing swell of Web Services Choreography
and Business Process initiatives? Consider the following quote from the
IDA document:

<Quote2>
Regulated exchanges occur inside a closed group of users. They follow a
well-established set of procedures and are organised in sequence of
instance the sequence from order to invoice and payment. These sequences
and the conditions are to be described in the business process. Such
exchanges are also very often met in inter-administrative processes.
Automating these exchanges has been the task of EDI followed now by
ebXML.

Unregulated exchanges occur when a service can be accessed on a network
by different applications and users. Unregulated does not mean that no
rules are to be followed but that the interactions can be isolated. They
are not included in a strict and complex procedure. Newcomers, who will
only apply the rules and formats that are mandatory can perform them.
The model is basically to act on demand.
</Quote2>

Are we moving more and more towards "act on demand" and away from
"regulated exchanges occur inside a closed group of users"? If so, is
that a good thing? What if dynamic collaboration leads one to a scenario
in which they don't want to create a CPA, but rather to perform an
"unregulated" transaction?

Just some random thoughts...

Joe

> Nikola wrote:
>
> <Joe>
> How do they define "regulated" and "unregulated" exchange?
> </Joe>
> Check pages 7 & 8 in
> http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/ida/export/files/en/1571.doc
>
> I also think that this might be out of scope for the brochure.
>
> Nikola
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano