Subject: Re: UN/CEFACT to introduce BCF to European Capitals

Klaus:

Thank you for the clarification.

Although I had originally been in favour of harmonization of SOAP and
ebXML MS and UDDI/Regrep, after giving it a second thought, it may make
more sense to keep them separate.

The reasons?  IMO - SOAP and ebXML MS both do essentially the same
thing, but each have a different set of requirements for why a user
would adopt them.  SOAP is much more efficient and lightwieght than
ebXML MS, yet ebXML offers the features that business users need for
most transactions. SOAP is useful to have as a lightwieght option in
cases where the features of ebXML MS are not required.  Likewise, many
ebXML MS adoptees have stated that they used that spec becuase SOAP did
not meet all their requirements.  UDDI and ebXML RR have a similar
relationship.  If no content management is needed and only a simply
directory like reference is needed, UDDI may suffice.  For deployments
where the advanced features of ISO/IEC 11179 are needed (such a content
lifecycle management) ebXMLrr is a clear winner.

I use an anaogy of transportation.  I am currently in Ottawa.  When I
arrived at the airport, I had a choice of taking a bus, taxi, limosine
or walking to my hotel.  All would have got me there, but in this case,
a taxi was a clear winner for my requirements.  That does not mean that
the public bus service shoudl fold and merge with the local taxi company
becuase some people would use that.

BCF is a nice guide to help map the businesss requirements to the FSV
components.

In short,  having these choices will ensure that users have their
requirements met.  One should note that ebXML Registry/Repository
actually uses SOAP in the specification for a binding and ebXML MS uses
SOAP as the basis.

Cheers

Duane