Subject: RE: [regrep] Re: Republica Case Study (Was: Re: [regrep] Web Site update request)

Please ignore my comment. I was wrong about UUID. It is based
on MAC address, not IP. So you should not have chances for
duplicates if MACs are uniques (and they should be!).

Btw, there's a link RIM:
[UUID] DCE 128 bit Universal Unique Identifier
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009629399/apdxa.htm#tagcjh_20

Regards,
Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:matt@yellowdragonsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 2:09 PM
To: Diego Ballvé
Cc: Duane Nickull; David RR Webber; regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Diego,

I may be all confused here, but I beleive that you can generate the UUID yourself before submitting.  It is just important that the UUID is an actual UUID, and not some approximation thereof.  If your UUID were to match something already in the registry, that just wouldn't be very nice.

Forgive me if this is just a feature of my company's product and not ebREG :-)

Matthew MacKenzie
Yellow Dragon Software Corporation
http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com/

Diego Ballvé wrote:

+1 with Duane here.

uid can be kept as a slot, if desired. cc-review should give
the final statement about this.

The only problems with uuid are that:
- it is not as human friendly as CC00001;
- you don't have it before adding it to registry;

To solve the second one, should the RS allow a client
to get a new UUID, generated in the server side???
(IP is also used for UUID generation, isn't it?)

Diego