Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML and Web Services: Is this a fair assessment?

Joe,

Errr, no!

I'd say something along these lines:

 (1) The ebXML initiative began while Web Services was in its infancy;
      therefore two models were developed around the foundation of
      XML and SOAP messaging.  The ebXML approach is collaboration-centric
      (CPA) while the web service model is point-services-centric (WSDL).
      While this distinction continues today significant blurring has taken
place
      leading to the ability to deploy both technologies in tandem.

  (2) For example, the emerging OASIS Web Services Business Process
   Execution Language (WS BPEL) is centered on the Web Services hierarchy
   presented in WSDL (portType, operation, message, etc.) and networks of
   interacting services, while the ebXML  Business Process Schema
Specification (BPSS)
   is centered on the concept of business process patterns, workflows and
transactions between
   business collaboration partners.  Therefore BPSS is suited to defining
industry-wide patterns
   for collaborations, while BPEL is suited to discreet point services that
may be part of those
   collaborations.

  (3) The ebXML Messaging Service (ebMS) specification, whose foundation is
SOAP,
        is now also being adapted to support WSDL interfacing as well.

  (4) Many of the ebXML specifications have also incorporated Web
       Services mechanisms - one example is the inclusion of
       a WSDL definitions for the SOAP interface to ebXML Registry.

Thanks, DW.