Subject: Re: [regrep] ebXML and Web Services: Is this a fair assessment?

Kathryn,

I think some of this history stuff is best left in the past!  ; -)

We had some real fun in those early Registry meetings!!

Anyway - the main thrust and change occured when Bob Sutor decided
to launch the UDDI work separate from ebXML and shortly after that
IBM changed its status in ebXML from active to passive.

The W3C also has some good notes on the history of the term "web services"
and work that got started within the W3C.

BTW - there was no technical reasons why this divergence through UDDI took
place.

DW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Breininger, Kathryn R" <kathryn.r.breininger@boeing.com>
To: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>;
<regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 7:56 PM

Joe,
Here is a little background:
The Registry TC was originally formed in 1999 and developed an ebXML
registry and Repository technical specification v1.0 in May 2000.  Version
1.1 was published December 20, 2000, and was discussed in Vancouver BC in
February 2001. I think Sally is the only TC member who has been with the TC
since the version 1.0 version was done in May 2000.  So, historically
speaking, your first statement is probably accurate (not knowing when web
services became prominent...).

David's comments also provide additional clarity.