Subject: RE: [regrep] Meeting agenda and reminder for ebXML Registry telecon December 18th, 2003

Well, since the spotlight is now singling me out of the crowd, hi, everyone.  I don't think I have enough context of this discussion to answer intelligently.  I guess I would ask the question, how seriously does the ebXML spec wish to tackle the ECM space as an interop standard API?  Is that an important goal?  If so, why?  And what specific business problem(s) have you identified or tried to tackle in this arena?  Have these been documented and discussed in detail?

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:44 AM
To: ebXML Regrep (ebXML Regrep)
Cc: Collins, Jeff
Subject: Re: [regrep] Meeting agenda and reminder for ebXML Registry
telecon December 18th, 2003

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Regarding the W3C/OASIS Town Hall Meeting:
>
>* Farrukh mentioned the use of ebXML Registry as a content management
>standard (which I support), but the general sense that I had was that
>the others in the room (at least apart from me) did not have a grasp on
>this concept - they seemed puzzled.
>
>* As a result, the discussion was (very) abruptly ended by an audience
>member (unnamed) who went to the mic and commented that they would "like
>to kill this thread as quickly as possible".

To add to Joe excellent summary of the meeting...

I do not know who said that. However, I do not think that had anything
to do with opposition to ebXML Registry or its role as a Content
Management standard.

Instead the person wanted to go back and reinforce an an earlier issue
that I had raised (rather vocally I might add)  that OASIS and W3C has a
fiduciary responsibility to not allow new cases of overlapping standards
and to converge the existing cases of overlapping standards. I took his
comment to be a matter of re-focusing the discussion on much more
important meta-level issues that cut across both OASIS and W3C.

>* So the discussion never got off the ground as well as I believe it
>should have.
>
>* I think that once we better define the synergies between CAM and the
>registry, this tie-in will become more evident.

The tie-in to Enterprise Content Management (ECM) in my mind is very
simple. Today we have many ECM products but virtually no ECM standards.
The result is that none of these products inter operate.  The interop
deficiency problem is  felt both within enterprises and across enterprises.

ebXML Registry does not and cannot replace ECM products. That would be
like saying the SOAP would replace B2B products. ebXML Registry only
addresses a small and important subset of ECM functionality, a subset
that focuses areas where inter operability matters. For example it defines:

-Standard yet extensible metadata information model

-Standard way to categorize and associate content

-Standard APIs for discovering content using ad hoc queries

-Standard APIs for getting content and metadata into and out of ECM systems.

-Standard identity, role and group based access control policies

-Standard authentication and authorization

-Standard Content based event notification when content changes within
an ECM system

-Standard mechanism for federating multiple ECM systems

-Standard SOAP and HTTP bindings for the above said APIs

Existing ECM products could layer the ebXML Registry API on top of their
current products and gain inter operability with other ECM products that
adopt the ebXML Registry standard.

On a related note, I am pleased to introduce Jeff Collins who will be
joining our TC representing Vignette who many of you know is a leader in
Content Management space. I am sure Jeff could enrich our discussion on
this topic.

Content Enable your enterprise with the freebXML Registry:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/freebXMLRegistryBrochure.pdf
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net