Subject: RE: [regrep] [Q] RDF API versus creating an ebXML Registry Knowledge Model

<John Gillerman>The question is can the entire
registry (including the semantic content addition) be seen as an
ontology
and thus accessible via an RDF based API.  This is clearly more
disruptive
to the ebXML community, but is the disruption worth it to get along the
path
of unification of the semantic web community with the ebXML
community.</John Gillerman> John, I think that it is a question of
"has-a versus is-a." The ebXML Registry has an ontology but it is a
registry. If the Knowledge model is explicitly defined (i.e., like in an
ontology) then any API or representation (e.g., RDF, RDF-Rule, OWL, OWL
DL, OWL Full) can be supported.

IMHO: You allude to one of the major problems that we will face. How do
we align object oriented issues with ontology oriented issues?  What is
more important the knowledge or the methods that act upon that
knowledge?  Objected Oriented analysis is most concerned with the
methods. I think that you have to clearly separate the two issues or the
Object Oriented and Semantic/Knowledge Oriented communities will be
talking past each other.

My proposal is that the Object Oriented issues be covered in the RIM/RS
and Semantic/Knowledge Oriented issues will be covered in the Registry
Knowledge Model. I just think we gain more interoperability benefits
talking about ebXML Registry compatibility and how to access it versus
only how to access it.  RDF API support could be a non-issue by the time
the standard is worked but compatibility will always be an issue.

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com