Subject: RE: [regrep] UK Government Registry Requirements

Hi All,

I've just been reading a most disturing section of a draft document called the UK e-GIF (e Government Interoperability Framework):

"2.5    Departments which are connected to the GSI are to use the GSI Notice 1/2003 Information GSI Directory Schema, except for WEB based transactions over SOAP when UDDI is to be used

2.6     When Web services are used they shall to be based on SOAP, UDDI and WSDL specifications."

I think we as a TC need to make sure that ebXML Registry gets equal billing with UDDI for these purposes.

Paul, is there anyway you can put us in touch with appropriate contacts to make sure that this gets modified in the next draft of this document?

Especially given that other parts of the document talk about the importance of meta-data content management:
"Content management metadata
2.19    The technical policies for content management metadata cover:

The adoption and development of the e-GMS, based on the International Dublin Core model, to meet government's information management and retrieval needs

The e-GMS is a 'superset' of metadata elements and refinements, and it is unlikely that any single system will require all of them. Organisations are therefore encouraged to develop sector and system-specific standards, removing elements that are not required, and adding local constraints

2.20    The development and maintenance of the GCL (Government Category List)."

Also in section 2.39 it says:
"For example, ebXML uses the international address standard whereas the UK has its own address standard."
I'd like to understand what they mean by that.

The full document can be found at:
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/schemasstandards/egif_document.asp?docnum=731

regards

pk