Subject: Re: [regrep] UDDI FAQ entry on ebXML Registry

Farrukh,

I certainly didn't intend to imply that Reg/Rep is not suitable for Web services. I'm sorry if you read it that way. I guess my assumption that Reg/Rep was fundamentally designed to support the ebXML infrastructure and B2B applications was invalid. I apologize.

My goal is to come up with an answer that both our teams are satisfied with.

Most of the distinctions you list below come down to the fact that Reg/Rep is both a registry and a repository, while UDDI is only a registry. Perhaps this is the only point that we should make in the FAQ. (But I don't think this answer is sufficient.)

For the most part I agree with you that UDDI is designed to be a registry of businesses, services, and technical artifacts (not restricted to specifications). So my question is, what other types of things do you register in Reg/Rep? (I'm asking in terms of registry -- not repository).

Note that UDDI supports pretty much all of the registry-oriented functions you stated below, although obviously it does not support the repository features  (content management of WSDL). Based on the new "Using WSDL with UDDI Registries" technical note, users can query UDDI looking for services or technical artifacts (tModels) that use certain namespaces, portTypes, protocols, etc. UDDI supports user-defined taxonomies to categorize tModels (which a number of users use to support versioning). UDDI maintains relationship information between tModels and businesses and services. And the V3 subscription API supports automatic notification of changes based on specific search criteria.

Anne