Subject: question about relationship between JSR 170 and ebXML Registry

Hi,

Some time ago there was some discussion on the alias about the relationship between the reg/rep and content mgmt. systems.

Among other things, I seem to recall there were general conclusions (roughly implying) that the reg/rep could provide interoperability among various cm systems.

So, I'm wondering how people see the relationship between JSR 170 and reg/rep.

Here's the description of the JSR:

The API should be a standard, implementation independent, way to access content bi-directionally on a granular level within a content repository. A Content Repository is a high-level information management system that is a superset of traditional data repositories. A content repository implements "content services" such as: author based versioning, full textual searching, fine grained access control, content categorization and content event monitoring. It is these "content services" that differentiate a Content Repository from a Data Repository.

Many of today's (web)applications are interacting with a content repository in various ways.

This API proposes that content repositories have a dedicated, standard way of interaction with applications that deal with content. This API will focus on transactional read/write access, binary content (stream operations), textual content, full-text searching, filtering, observation, versioning, handling of hard and soft structured content.

It seems like this would address some of the things that were being discussed on the thread without needing to have a reg/rep involved.

I realize I'm probably missing some big distinctions, but I know I can count on you bright people to wise up the marketing guy.

tia

pk