Subject: [Fwd: [regrep-semantic] IBM BI-ICS]

[I meant to send this to the main Registry TC]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [regrep-semantic] IBM BI-ICS
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:26:17 -0500
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
To: ebsoa@lists.oasis-open.org, CCRev
<regrep-cc-review@lists.oasis-open.org>,CAM
<cam@lists.oasis-open.org>,Registry TC - SCM SC
<regrep-semantic@lists.oasis-open.org>

This morning at the XML.gov monthly meeting[1] I saw a presentation
given by Scott Hinkleman of IBM on IBM's new "Business Integration -
Information Conformance Standards (BI-ICS)" specification[2]. I found it
quite interesting, and thought I'd provide a few comments here. Although
not available as of this e-mail, the presentation should be available at
the XML.gov site[3] within the next few days, if IBM does make it
available.

BI-ICS essentially lives at what IBM calls the "Business Level" of the
Web Services stack, above "Service Composition" (where WS BPEL,
WS-Transaction, etc. live). I know - it sounds like the "ebXML area" of
the stack, so we might very well expect some overlap in this and future
specs - as BI-ICS is apparently one of 4 planned "specification areas"
for this "framework" (my own use of this term) which is as of yet
unnamed.

Another area will be "Business Payload Composition", which - Scott
Hinkleman stated - "has its roots in ebXML Core Components", and
specifies a "context-driven approach" to payload composition (overlaps,
anyone?). Scott did, however, state that BI-ICS is "not IBM's answer to
OASIS CAM".

IBM is soliciting interest in advancing BI-ICS to an open standards
consortium.

Let the discussions begin...

Kind Regards,
Joe