Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [regrep-semantic] IBM BI-ICS]

>>Webber: There certainly are no hard and fast rules around standards.
>>
>Chiusano: Depends on the domain in which you function of course - in the US
>federal domain, we point to OMB Circular A-119[1], which defines what a
>"voluntary consensus standard (VCS)" is.
>
>[1] http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a119/a119.html

mm1: Anne, I would be interested in your answer about open standards. If you took note of the reference that Joe provides above, you see what major customers (like our own US government) feel about the openness, transparency, predictability and stability of a process to enable technology adoption and deployment using recognized standards.  Can you explain to me what if any of the processes surrounding these proprietary specifications fit into the category referenced above, other than the two submitted to OASIS? Thank you.

Extract from OMB:

(1) "Voluntary consensus standards bodies" are domestic or international
organizations which plan, develop, establish, or coordinate* *voluntary
consensus standards using agreed-upon procedures. For purposes of this
Circular, "voluntary, private sector, consensus standards bodies," as
cited in Act, is an equivalent term. The Act and the Circular encourage
the participation of federal representatives in these bodies to increase
the likelihood that the standards they develop will meet both public and
private sector needs. A voluntary consensus standards body is defined by
the following attributes:

(i) Openness.
(ii) Balance of interest.
(iii) Due process.