Subject: linkage between schemas, ontologies, taxonomies and data dictionaries,

  Forwarded as per John Hardin's request

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:32:48 -0500
From: john hardin <john@sanghainteractive.com>
To: dnickull@adobe.com, David RR Webber <david@drrw.info>, Dale Moberg
<dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>, jturpin@cyclonecommerce.com,
ron.l.schuldt@lmco.com, golsen@contivo.com, Farrukh.Najmi@sun.com,
carlmattocks@checkmi.com, ewallace@cme.nist.gov,
jspeed@cyclonecommerce.com, gshevchik@cyclonecommerce.com,
rkhanna@cyclonecommerce.com, mattm@adobe.com
CC: udef.builders@topica.com

Carl and all on the reg/rep group:

I'm not sure I've got the ability to post to the OASIS group that
originated this list, Duane, can you post this to the right groups for me,
and copy me so that I can capture these email address for the groups (then
get more deeply involved)? THANKS

One of the classic uses that we have planned for in the UDEF groups is the
"linkage" between schemas, ontologies, taxonomies and data dictionaries,
what have you. For example, the data element concept
"purchase.order.document_date" where "purchase.order.document" is the
object (document) with qualifiers ( of type 'purchase order') and where
"date" is the property of the document, is represented in the UDEF
semi-intelligent ID format as d.t.2_8 or "purchase.order.document_date".

So taking this and placing it in the schemas or RDFs etc, as an attribute
of the data element concept that is used in that format to specify the
purchase order document date, will provide a linkage between all the docs
that have that data element concept. And as you are probably well aware,
every PO has the data element concept of PO Date, but very few, if any of
the formats call this data element by the same name. So the attribute can
be resolved to provide the exact semantic meaning of the data element.
There are two example XML instance docs on the home page of the UDEF web
site (http://www.udef.org) one is OAGIS and the other is xCBL
(commerceone). The UDEF IDs are really improperly placed in the actual
instance docs, only for demonstration purposes. We think that this really
belongs in the reference doc (ie: schema, RDF, etc).

In my mind, this is very useful information to have in some form or fashion
within the reg/rep, due to the fact that the reg/rep holds integration
artifact info, and this most certainly qualifies as that. I still don't
have any opinion on how or where it should be stored in the reg/rep... Can
we perhaps start on some conversations?

thanks
john

PS - there is an upcoming NIST / OAGi / UDEF Proof of Concept. See
http://lists.topica.com/lists/udef.builders/read/message.html?mid=808601884&sort=d&start=142
I would also like to include CAM assembly paradigms and mechanisms in this
if we can....

john c hardin
director / founder - sangha interactive
877.572.5691 - 313.737.1197 cell