Subject: RE: [regrep] QoS in ebXML Registry?

Farrukh,

I agree with those QoS use cases. In addition, I get a sense from the DoD that their mostly focusing on making sure a Web service user knows their options about what to do in the case of failure.  For example:

    * If this service fails to execute, then the alternative is to _______.
    * If this service fails to execute, then contact _________.

These too can be addressed with the slots and query capabilities.  I got the DoD QoS talk in a different setting from Joe.  Joe, do you agree or have any others to suggest?

-Paul

BTW, UDDI is addressing range checking in their search capabilities.  I do participate in UDDI too, but I was on vacation part of last week and need to catch up on what went on during the UDDI F2F in New Zealand.  For some reason the government wouldn't cover me attending that one.  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 10:34 PM
To: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Chiusano Joseph wrote:
During one of my recent client meetings (for service discovery within
DoD), the issue of QoS came up as an important topic.

I don't have access to the UDDI TC item I reference here (I'm not a
member of the UDDI TC), but I understand that the UDDI TC has been
working on a TN called "Representing Web Services Quality of Service
Information in UDDI"[1]. Without knowing the details beyond what is in
[1], have we given any thought to this issue for our specifications?

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uddi-spec/200404/msg00005.html

Here are some use cases of QoS queries from that document:

  • “show me all Web services implementations  that support interface X with a request-response performance less than 100milliseconds”.
  • “list the binding templates of service A with a reliability of 99% or higher”
  • “are there any binding templates of services owned by business entity B that have experienced more than 100 SOAP faults”.
It should be noted that we can easily do all of above use cases thanks to our support for Arbitrary Attributes using Slots and our support for Ad hoc SQL and XML Filter Queries.

For example a RegistryObject in an ebXML Registry could have:

  • A Slot named "RequestResponsePerformance" whose value is integer milliseconds.
  • A Slot named "Reliability" whose value is a float % value.
  • A Slot named "FaultCount" whose value is an integer (Note we already have ability to associate Services to Organizations)
Note that we do support full range based queries in ebXML Registry unlike UDDI. So we will not be hampered by the issue quoted from the UDDI tech note below:

"Given that UDDI does not yet have range-based searching, it may also be valuable to allow searches based on ratings.   It will be valuable to have simple checked taxonomies for performance, throughput, reliability and availability ratings.

A developer might ask:
  • “show me all Web service implementations that support interface X with reliability rated ’High’”
An administrator keeping track of the quality of the hosting might ask:
  • “what binding templates have ‘Low’ performance”
Search criteria can also be used in combination, such as the following:

  • “what binding templates have ‘High’ performance and zero SOAP faults”
"

Again all of above use cases would be handled with the same ease as the range based queries earlier.

In summary QoS Metadata is just another run-of-the-mill use case for the ebXML Registry.