Subject: Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

Apologize for the cross post in advance, but I feel both of these groups
need to address this issue.

The Core Components and Registry specs both mandate a unique identifier
to be used in certain places.  IN the registry, it is for every single
registry object.  Each Core Component also must have an identifier.

In a recent project I did, I decided to use the registry UUID format for
the Core Components.  That is the DCE 128 bit algorithm for generating
UUID's.  We also demonstrated programmatic access to the registry to
retrieve copies of Core Components, slurped them into a context assembly
utility along with an XML declaration of the 8 context categories and
values representing a specific set of contexts, and spat our several
BIE's, which were aggregated onto an XML schema.  The good news is that
all went well and the system works perfect.

There were some questions however that do need further discussion IMO.

1. Should a BIE carry the same UUID as the Core Component it was derived
from?

2. Either in addition to, or alternatively to #1, should a BIE carry
its' own unique UUID?  If it is placed into a registry, the UUID will be
assigned to it by the registry, but it also need to be serialized inline
into the BIE to be used outside of the registry or in places where
access to the Registry RIM instance data is not possible. (real world
use cases exist for this).

3. If the BIE does have to have it's own UUID, possibly in addition to
the COre COmponents UUID, should this UUID be in the 128 bit algorithm
format OR should it use something akin to the UDEF format that can
convey context variables?  This may be crucial to aid business mappers
and integration software (rich client applications) to map the BIE to
existing data sources.

Thank you for any comments on this.  I have done it one way but would
like to not reply with what I have done until I hear ideas from others
since I am not happy with my solution.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist